Friday, September 17, 2010

Youth Games, Special Olympics Oregon

So, in the spirit of full disclosure, I will say that it never occurred to me to look into an organization like Special Olympics. Blame NPR. There was a story broadcast two year ago about a Special Olympics Athlete who was suddenly considered ineligible because he was ASD, and Autism was not yet on the list of qualifiers. And I agreed - Autism just wasn't a "real" disability". It has been a fun trip on "da Nile", my friends.

When I heard about the Special Olympics Oregon event at Nike on Oct. 2nd, I was curious and took a closer look. Here was what I read under "eligibility":

"Individuals must be at least 8 year old and have been identified by an agency or professional as having one of the following conditions: intellectual disability, a cognitive delay as determined by standardized methods, or a closely related developmental disability."

Well, it certainly sounds like us.

So I signed us up. Isaac turns 8 on Oct. 1st, he likes soccer, and he qualifies. And I am on a kick this year to find and explore all kinds of resources out there.

Attaching a link to the right for the event, if anyone else is curious. If nothing else, it is something different to do, and we get to check out the Nike Campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment