Monday, July 12, 2010

We Are All on the Spectrum Now

ASD has this way of taking over your life. All of it. There is no way of getting around it. So trying to not become obsessed is my task for the moment. I really don't want to be one of those moms other parents avoid because after awhile, it just gets too uncomfortable.

Humor has helped. Wine has done wonders. Compartmentalizing works at times, but hard to manage after awhile. I have cried, whined, waded through the murk of self-pity. Ate a hell of a lot of chocolate. Went well with the wine.

One day, I was driving. To or from who knows. And I finally started to question what was "typical", what was normal. What was normal? I feel like a fairly normal person, but breaking down my childhood, it was a bit weird and complicated. Yet I am happy, have a good life, good friends, good marriage, regret nothing. So maybe there is no normal, just variations on a theme. And this is our normal, and that is fine. It may be weird and complicated, but what isn't these days?

1 comment: