Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Do I Need a Shrink, or a Stiff Drink?

So many books. Falling off the library shelves, into my bag and into my head. This weeks list?

School Success for Kids with Asperger's Syndrome (and neither kid are actually Aspie's).
The Autism Handbook
The Autism Answer Book
The Way I See It: A Personal Look at Autism & Asperger's

Each book has the ability to send me into a panic, make me feel incompetent as a parent, or thrill me because my children are not THAT bad. None are particularly healthy.

I think I need to read a book with actual plot, one that distracts me and maybe even enlivens some sedentary part of my brain. I know I can do it - I did manage to read 4 books on the recent trip to France.

So here is my summer resolution (can you have one of those?). No more ASD books. This September Isaac is moving away from his nice safe "special school" to the more hectic program at Alameda. Now, granted, he will still be in a special class as they transition into mainstream 2nd grade, but our experience with PPS so far has been fairly harsh, so my expectations are always low to the ground. Ok, subterranean. And while I am calm now, I expect to be a basket case when the fall term starts. And the only way to remain calm between now and then is to put the books away, pick up some trashy mystery novel, and enjoy the summer.

So suck it, Temple Grandin, Ph.D. You are going back to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment